MeggieSoft Games Canasta is a comprehensive two-player implementation supporting both the Classic and Modern American rules. Play against an online opponent or against your computer. Canasta has a rich user interface and many customizable graphic, sound (including MIDI music and speech output), rule and scoring options. Six different computer opponent skill levels are available for when you are unable to get online, or just want to practice privately.
Canasta is played with a 108-card deck (two standard packs, plus four Jokers). The game involves taking, melding, and discarding cards with the object of scoring more points than your opponent. When taking cards, one may either take new cards from the stock, or pick up the discard pile – provided that the top card can be melded immediately. Melded cards score points, and melds of seven cards (Canastas) also score bonus points. Each round ends when one player has no more cards in hand or the stock is empty. The first player to 5000 points wins the game.
The user interface, common to all MeggieSoft Games, supports both point-and-click and drag-and-drop mouse operations. Features include: realistic animated card movement; right-click pop-up menus; a hint facility; a tutorial; automatic play; automatic save and restore of partly finished games; multiple-user scoreboards; a clean and uncluttered main window; status-bar shortcut buttons; and fully customizable main display font and wallpaper effects for the table and playing mat, and the card backs.
Purchase the full version for unlimited use
Latest posts by MeggieSoft Games (see all)
You may also be interested in:
- MeggieSoft Games Rummy 500 MeggieSoft Games Rummy 500, is a comprehensive implementation of the popular card game also known as 500 Rum. It supports network and […]
- Canasta Canasta is a fascinating Rummy type card game in which you collect or meld 'baskets' of cards, Canasta being the Spanish word for basket. […]
- MeggieSoft Games Cribbage MeggieSoft Games Cribbage is a comprehensive two-player implementation supporting the Five, Six, and Seven Card versions. Play against an […]
- MeggieSoft Games German Whist MeggieSoft Games German Whist is a comprehensive implementation of the popular Whist card game for two players. Play against an online […]
- MeggieSoft Games Piquet MeggieSoft Games Piquet is a comprehensive implementation of the highly-regarded card game dating back to the 15th century. It supports […]
- MeggieSoft Games Euchre & Ecarte MeggieSoft Games Euchre & Ecarte is a comprehensive implementation of two popular card games: Ecarte and two-player Euchre. Play against […]
- Bid Whist Introduction; Players; Cards Bid Whist is a partnership trick-taking game very popular among African Americans. It is played with a […]
- MeggieSoft Games Pinochle & Bezique MeggieSoft Games Pinochle & Bezique is a comprehensive implementation of the original Pinochle and Bezique card games (the two-handed […]
- MeggieSoft Games Gin Rummy MeggieSoft Games Gin Rummy is a very comprehensive implementation of the popular card game including Hollywood and Oklahoma variations. […]
- Joker Spades The original classic version of Spades from the 1930s very popular with African-Americans. With four players in partnership and Big Joker […]